Building Regulatory Division
The Building Regulatory Division performs a wide range of inspection activity including building, electrical, plumbing gas and mechanical. This is to ensure the highest quality of construction and safety to building occupants.
Heed the Code:
Following the rules is easy once you know what they are. The same holds true for the Parish's Cod of Ordinances. Ordinances are rules we've all agreed to live by in Jefferson Parish. Basically, these rules help us to be good neighbors.
Did you know?
- A licensed plumber is required to install a new hot water heater.
- A building permit is required to erect or replace a carport, shed, or fence.
- A licensed electrician is required to perform an electrical work.
- A Jefferson Parish Home Builder's license is required to perform any work which value exceeds $2500.00. A homeowner is allowed to take out one permit every 12 months where the value of the work is over $2500.00.
- A licensed mechanical contractor is required to instal or replace any air condition condenser.
- You are allowed to hold two garage sales in one year and a permit is required.
- A property survey is required to obtain most building permits.
- No construction is allowed over or encroaching upon any servittude.
- Commercial permits can be tracked on the internet at www.jeffparish.net
- To start a new business you can contact permits to obtain a new business start-up packet at 736-6957
For new single & two-family dwellings, two complete sets of plans prepared and stamped by a LA registered civil engineer or architect, plus a copy of the current survey of the lot, are required for the review.
For all new buildings, additions, or change in occupancy use, the following are the minimum submittal requirements:
- Four complete sets of building plans (including all site/civil plans) prepared and stamped by a Louisiana registered civil engineer or architect.
- Four separate sets of site/civil plans
- Five copies of a current survey showing all improvements.
The plans submitted will be distributed to various Parish departments for review. For a more in depth break down of the process or other types of permits, contact teh Commercial Plan Review Section.
Drives and Parking:
Site plan Review is responsible for the review and approval of construction for parking areas, driveways, sidewalks, and landscaping for all commercial and multi-family developments in the Parish; and for reviewing Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) requirements as they relate to parking, walks, drives, and site work. Additionally, Site Plan Review reviews plans for all proposed "Off-Site Improvements" for the Commercial Parkway Overlay Zone. (CPZ).
Commonly Asked Questions:
- What is the purpose of Code Enforement? The department enforces Parish Ordinances by investigating complaints and where valid issues violations. The department also regulates building construction to ensure compliance mandated by the CABO Building Codes.
- What are the business hours? Both the Eastband and Westbank offices are open from 8am to 4pm Monday thru Friday.
- Where are the offices located? The Eastbank Office is located at 1221 Elmwood Park Boulevard in the Yenni Building, Jefferson, Louisiana. The Westbank Office is located at 400 Maple Avenue, Harvey, Louisiana.
- What type of information do you need to report a complaint? The proper informations is essential to the section investigating your complaint. You need to repor tthe exact address of your complaint and a brief description of the complaint.
- What happens to my complaint? The appropriated section will send an investigator to the site within 3 working days. If a violation exists, the investigator will issue a violation or take the appropriate action required by the section handling the complaint.
Building Problem: Section to Call:
Vacant lot or house with Weed Control
high grass, trash or debris 364-3540
Occupied house with Property Maintenance
high grass, trash or debris 736-6961
Junk vehicles in rear yard Property Maintenace
or side of house 736-6961
Construction without permit Building Section
Illegal sign in Right of way Property Maintenance
Open or vacant house Dangerous Building Abatement
Commercial/Recreational Property Maintenance
vehicle on street & in 736-6961
front of house
Operating a vehicle repair Zoning Section
or other business in a 736-6961
House, fence or other Building Section
structure in disrepair 736-6964
What is property zoned? Plan Review Section
1221 Elmwood Park Boulevard
Jefferson, Louisiana 70123
Director's Office Suite 205 736-6950
Building Section Suite 101 736-6964
Plan Review/Permits Suite 101 736-6957
Site Plan Review Suite 101 736-6957
Electrical Section Suite 101 736-6935
Mechanical Section Suite 101 736-6921
Plumbing Section Suite 101 736-6927
Zoning Section Suite 300 736-6961
Board of Standards & Appeals Suite 335 736-6976